Saturday, November 22, 2008

Recipe: Emu Goulash



I don't think there's an awful lot of meat on an emu. I can't be entirely sure of this, but by the look of their tatty feathered frames and long appendages there doesn't seem to be too much that's edible. I don't particularly like emus.They're grumpy and snatchy and I got more than my fair share of nips as a child at local wildlife sanctuaries. So I was happy to get my own back and eat this one, which was gamey and strong.

Thanks again to Sue from
Mates Meats for thinking outside the chicken/lamb/pork/beef box.


1 stick butter
3 onions sliced
1-1/2 tablespoons paprika
6 oz. can tomato puree
1-1/2 oz. vinegar
1 can beef stock
2 lbs. emu meat cut into cubes
dash sugar and garlic

Melt butter in a large pot with a cover. Add all of the ingredients and give it a bit of a stir. Cover and cook for 3 to 3 1/2 hours until tender and thick. Serve over noodles with a dollop of sour cream on top.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well that cheeky little Emu pic is enough to put me off trying this one!! :(( I know they are the Bush Terrorists....but still!

Anonymous said...

Tenina - I was hoping he looked agro and therefore edible!

annmelody18 said...

Love to cook this one.... :-)